Thursday, June 22, 2017

Outdoor Mom's Journal - June

During our outdoor time this week we went....Lutz Backyard Railroad Garden. This was a fun family outing that combined both gardening and model trains. There were a variety of annuals and perennials that were integrated into the train-scape.


Our outdoor time made us ask (or wonder about)...why the roses that I transplanted from my parents' home are having challenges with their leaves. This is the second year that they have been here and they have the same appearance.

Although I'm enjoying the roses now, if they are like last year, the end to the flowering period will come way too soon.


In the garden, we are planning/planting/harvesting....

Vegetable gardens: All the transplants have been planted. Still need to plant seeds.

Flower gardens: Have been planting quite a few perennials this year which has and will add color to some established gardens and new ones that I wanted to start.

Added some annuals along the driveway and in the backyard to give some bright color to areas that we regularly see.

Harvesting: Have harvested a couple of strawberries. It seems, though, that the grackles are a step ahead of us.

I am reading...about some of the places we will be visiting in Arizona. Olivia and I will be going to two national parks (Saguaro and Grand Canyon), two state parks, a preserve, and a museum focused on desert life (flora and fauna). We also will be going to a museum where there are exhibits about minerals, gems, rocks, and space.

I am dreaming about…
seeing different types of plants and wildlife that I've never seen before; and being able to see the Grand Canyon.

These two national parks will be the first ones that I've been to in my life. I never saw any of the national parks growing up. I'm hoping that by giving the girls the opportunity to see some of the them before they graduate from high school, it will give them good memories to draw on for the rest of their teenage years and adulthood.

I know our first national monument that we saw (Pipestone in Minnesota) was quite memorable; and the girls and I still talk about it.



Thank you to Barb the Outdoor Hour Challenge for the idea of doing an Outdoor Mom's Journal.


1 comment:

Rita said...

Oh wow! The Grand Canyon! That will be amazing in person I would think. Sounds like an exciting trip. :)