Wednesday, March 29, 2017

40 Bags in 40 Days Update - Days 16-29

Last week I didn't have a chance to declutter like I had hoped for the 40 Bags in 40 Days challenge. So, I've combined the progress I've made into one update - which include the 16th-29th days.

On the 15th day of the challenge, we had thrown away, recycled, or donated 31 bags during the 2017 challenge.

During the past two weeks, we have focused on cleaning out some of our closets of clothes we no longer want or fit. We were able to get rid of 6 bags; and donate them to the secondhand store. The proceeds from the sale of the clothes is used to support the organization's programs that help those in need - seniors, teens, youth, and families.

One bag to recycle (on the left) and
six bags to donate to the thrift shop (on the right).

In preparation for the A to Z Challenge in April, I went through some of my files that started with "A" and recycled 1 bag of items that I knew I wouldn't use or refer to in the future. I also added some items to one of the bags of clothes (there wasn't enough to start a new bag).

I also was able to get rid of 1bag of old financial statements (and keep only the most current statements) so I could create an up-to-date financial binder.


We also have been using up food that we have on hand, so that has been creating a lot of bags for recycling. Between the food packaging and daily newspaper, we had 4 bags of recycling.

All together, we got rid of  12 bags during the past two weeks.

All together, we have let go of 43 bags by donating, recycling, or tossing them. Even though we reached the 40 bags goal, we're going to keep going because it feels great to keep reducing the amount of stuff in the house and leaving only the things that we will use, need, and/or enjoy.

No comments: