Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Yellow - The Summer of Color (Week 4)

I've been enjoying the past three weeks of The Summer of Color challenge. Week 4 is no different.  This week's color is yellow, and I made two origami window stars. 

Both of the window stars use some of the folds that I regularly use in the suncatchers I make, but each one is my own design.

The star on the left side is folded 11 times per point. With 8 points, that's 88 folds to make the star. The suncatcher on the right side is folded 17 times per point. With 8 points, it is folded 136 times.


By playing around a bit with the size of the paper used for each point, the way that the points are folded, and then the final arrangement of the points - it's possible to create a variety of different suncatchers.

I'm also working on a multi-week/multi-color quilt. Each quilt square will have a variety of fabric prints all in one color.  For each week of The Summer of Color challenge, I'm making two quilt squares.  Nothing fancy...just 7 rows of fabric of various widths. The final size of each quilt square is 12 inches x 12 inches. 

By the time the challenge is done, I'll have 20 fabric squares - enough to make a nice size quilt while using up scraps of fabric.

11 comments:

sugar Creek said...

OOh wow those are wonderful! Can't wait to see the quilt squares!

Fars Datter said...

136 times folded! Wow! I am amazed! They are very pretty!
And I'm really looking forward to seeing your quilt when it is done! I am sure it will be amazing with all the colors! :-)

Kristin said...

These are so pretty! I love seeing them hanging there - and the yellow is really striking. I also LOVE the idea of your quilt - it will be such a sight to see when done - can't wait! Thank you for playing along, xo

Mandy said...

These are really lovely and so clever...looking at your little thumb nails too...they look fantastic....also looking forward to seeing your quilt too...xxx

Anonymous said...

These are lovely looking forward to seeing the quilt. x

helena said...

the suncatchers are fascinating and I love your quilt project - look forward to seeing it at the end

Trece said...

Your stars are lovely! Thanks for the Twitter follow; I'm now following your blog!

Alis Clair said...

Oh these are just beautiful. I am looking forward to seeing the quilt now.

Liette alias Pixelle said...

those stars are so unique...I adore the yellow tones and the light...your quilt must be so nice too...want to see it as soon you will have finish it...have a nice day..

Wildflowerhouse said...

Beautifully done and want to see those quilt squares!

Daniele Valois said...

these are so so so pretty and cool! Love them!